Saturday 18 February 2012

Cover of the week.

When a band does a cover of a well known song, they have a lot to live up to. It's risky to cover great songs, because bands rarely get to the writhing guts of the track. -WALK OFF THE EARTH have broken this trend into small, sharp fragments.
The song that has lodged itself into my brain this week has been GOTYE- Somebody that i used to know. 
Oh my gosh, it's so beautiful it makes me ache. 




Therefore, i approached a cover of my favourite song with some hostility. However it was un called-for. I MIGHT go as far to say that this may even rival the original.

I love the artistic visual stimuli to the cover video. It's a hands-on intimate feel, as though the band are connected by one common cause- the guitar. It's hard to believe such a range of sounds come out of one instrument, but they merge and make love perfectly. 
But is it better that Gotye's?
I like WOTF version, as i feel that it has quite an earthy feel, and the female vocals that harmonise towards the end add a certain softness that emphasises the female character in the song. But then Gotye's voice is certainly the superior; reaching the high notes of the chorus with ease and soul.
Like i said, this song makes me hurt because it is so good. I'm in quite a melancholy mood now so i'll leave you with this beautiful cover to decide which you prefer;


No comments:

Post a Comment